The Tomb of Staphylos
Skopelos Tomb of Stafylos, Skopelos Archeological Sights, Skopelos Sightseeings, Tomb of Stafilos Skopelos, Skopelos Tomb
THE TOMB OF STAFYLOS
SKOPELOS ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES
The legend of Skopelos claims that Stafylos area was named after Prince Stafylos. Prince Stafilos and his brother Peparithos were the first inhabitants of Skopelos. In fact, in the old days, Skopelos had the name Peparithos. The tomb of Prince Staphylos was found on Stafylos beach and his sword is kept and exposed to the Archaeological Museum of Athens.
Stafylos was the prince of Crete. The Cretan king Minoas sent him to Skopelos in the 16th century BC. He is the son of Dionisos, the god of fertility and wine, and Ariadne, the daughter of King Minoas. His brothers were Oinopios, Toa, and Peparithos. Only Peparithos followed him in the colonization of Skopelos and gave his name to the island. The Minoans had colonized most of the Aegean islands. It is natural that they also chose the fertile Skopelos. Moreover, they brought with them the vines and the olive trees.
Professor N. Platon in 1936, discovered the tomb of Stafylos as well as his sword. The tomb was in the cape that separates Staphylos from Velanio beach. The tomb is one of the most important examples of the Mycenaean and Minoan periods. Also, the tomb is pitted and has all the Minoan elements. The sword is 32 centimeters long – the largest one found in Greece – has wrought decoration and a gold handle.
They also found tools, weapons, jewelry, utensils, copper statues, and objects connecting Skopelos with Crete. They also prove that there were residents on the island during the Mycenaean period. In the Archaeological Museum of Athens, you can admire all the exhibits.
At the end of Stafylos beach, there are also remainings of Mycenaean (1600-1100 BC) walls.